Sunday, May 10, 2009

Weekend update--sheep, rainbows, and dollar bill tracking.

We went to the NH Sheep & Wool Festival yesterday. It was pleasant, but seemed somehow smaller than I remember. I kept feeling like the economy must be having an effect.

One of the vendors had an old 4-harness portable loom (needs some work) for sale. I kept looking at it and thinking how cool it would be, but until I'm sure of employment for next year, even though it was cheap, it seemed kind of frivolous. And I've started too many projects that I haven't ever quite finished to be jumping into something like that too eagerly. So Colleen and I talked about it, and looked at it, and talked some more...and then I wandered past the vendor and it had been sold. So much for that.

We went out to dinner at this pleasant restaurant in Henniker, NH, overlooking the river. Just the kind of place Colleen loves--running water going past the window and everything. While we were there, a heavy downpour came through (only 1 or two thunderclaps) and then the sun came out, right around 7:15 or 7:30 pm. Sure enough, we got an AWESOME rainbow. Check out Colleen's photo rainbow.

This doesn't really show the full extent. First, it went completely from horizon to horizon. Second, there's no way for the picture to show just how bright it was. Third, the rainbow almost divided the sky into a bright half and a dark half--really cool effect. And fourth, there was a faint 2nd rainbow in the darker portion of the sky.

----
This morning at breakfast, I pulled a dollar bill out of my pocket that somebody had stamped "Make a nerd happy. Register this bill at " So just for fun, I did. Seems like this could be a fun idea, especially for certain kinds of high school or college classes, but it clearly requires more activity than this bill was getting--I was the 2nd entry for this bill in the last 11.5 months!

Anyway, back to the S&W festival...


No comments: